If a man is interested, as he approaches you he will pull in his tummy, puff out his chest and stand taller. He’ll then start the preening!
This will take the form of:
- Reaching for his throat and straightening his tie
- Smoothing his collar
- Brushing imaginary dust from his shoulder
- Rearranging his shirt, cufflinks or other clothing
- Smoothing his hair
- Thumbs in belt
Some of the key signs that show he's interested
1) Hooking his thumbs in his belt
This highlights the genital region and says 'I'm virile'. (When used with other men this means they are staking their territory and showing that they're not afraid). Leaning towards you
2) Body positioning
Body positioning is critical. If he's interested he'll turn his body towards you. If you're standing or sitting in a group look at his feet, if one or both of them are pointing in your direction it's a good sign.
3) Holding your gaze
Holding your gaze for even just a split second longer than necessary, combined with dilated pupils, is a really good sign.
Look out for the eyes following the 'triangular formation':
- eye to eye
- then down to the mouth and chin
- down to the rest of the body
- and back up to the eyes again in a triangular formation.
This is not confined to male body language. Women are excellent at using the intimate gaze. (see female body language) - men are not and often don't even pick up on it when they're on the receiving end of one. A man's intimate gaze is generally quite obvious.