Thursday, June 20, 2013

Why Hope Now

I believe making it important to hope now and everyone is immeasurable. Hope is the number one motivator in our lives. The idea that things can and will get better. That our lives have meaning and that there is reason for us to live, be and thrive.

Without these essential concepts life can seem overwhelming. It can become a long list of tasks that must be accomplished so that we can pay bills that we must and buy food so that we can survive.
And survival alone may not seem important enough if we do not having something of worth within our lives. There have been many days in my life where I felt overburdened with life. It seemed that all I did was work. I went to work, I came home and worked on other things.



And even with all this work, I couldn’t pay all my bills and felt as if I were accomplishing nothing. If I were not on the planet that while a few would miss me most (and truly all) would go on with their lives and the things that I did during the day would be done by some other nameless soul. But I always had hope that my life could change.

That I had the capacity to change, to grow, to learn, to choose different paths and different experiences that might make my life better. I had hope and without that feeling I would have stopped and laid down and died.

There have been times in my life where there was no hope now and finding it wasn't easy. When my attention was on the pain I was feeling or berating myself or the “hard realities” that I thought I needed to face to become stronger and better able to live in the world.

Ultimately where I have found hope most has been in people, books, spirituality and of course in my muse music/film/theatre/art. People find hope in different places. I believe it is something we must carry with us and make space for in our lives.

Sometimes in life I think of hope as a flower, it needs care and tending or it will wither away. The nice thing about hope is it has many seeds and you can plant them at any time and watch them grow hope now and for days to come.